Feb 16, 2008

Lucky...

What makes luck? Do we make it ourselves? Is destiny involved? How do we define ourselves as lucky?

Last weekend my Aunt and Uncle were hit by a car while they crossed the street -- they not only survived, aside from bruises and strains they appear fine. Amazing considering that the car was moving at 25 mph. Lucky? My Aunt told me that if I told her how lucky she was she would come over and kick me -- how lucky is it to get hit by a car?

For the last eight years and some, I've felt very lucky to have a wonderful man in my life. He puts up with everything -- Crohn's disease, panic attacks, stubbornness...you name it. He doesn't think I'm lucky, but I do. The fact that my Aunt and Uncle were hit by a car rattled me; any of us could be there. Any of us could be gone just as quickly. What if it were mine? What would I do without him? I can't even comprehend.

Tonight, talking to a friend who grew up in less than ideal circumstances, I suddenly felt very lucky that I had the parents that I did, my Mom in particular. I didn't have to look to babysitters for stability and guidance in my life. Wow. Even when Dad was gone with the Air Force, which was often, Mom was always there.

Maybe luck is simply a matter of perspective. We feel lucky that our family is still with us when they might not have been, while my Aunt places emphasis on the incident more than the outcome. I look at my childhood juxtaposed with my friends, and even when I knew I had things pretty good, I feel that much more lucky.

Funny how life will stop you short and make you take stock of your blessings and your actions in the world.

No comments:

Katharine Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."